Sunday, February 3, 2019

Dreams for next year

I'm not even sure if I remember how to write a blog post it's been so long, but I'll carry on in the hopes that it's like riding a bike. Apologies if it comes across disjointed but I'm going to simply share out my ideas for two reasons- the first is that by publishing them I'll build some accountability for myself to implement them and the second is creating a place to come back to when I forget what any of them are!

In an effort to see these ideas come to light I'm already setting up times to meet with our school's PBL coach Emily Rinkema to start laying the groundwork. I know for me, one of my weaknesses is sustaining big ideas unless I've set routines and structures in place ahead of time. The chaos of the school year just takes over and I go in to staying a float mode rather than swimming ahead.

As I'm looking over my first year of teaching Social Studies, I've been pleased with the level of discourse and thinking that's been produced using an inquiry based design approach. The course I took really helped shape my ability to design units where students think critically about topics. I want to keep that in place while adjusting the curriculum map itself to focus on the following areas:


  • Using the UN Sustainable Development Goals as the core curriculum experience
  • Engage students with real world collaboration opportunities with community members to help their work in these goals
  • Begin to use Empatico to connect globally to classrooms around the world as a way to promote empathy, tolerance and understanding
  • Continue to improve the PLP process to have students set goals based on the transferable skills our district has set out
  • Finally, in my own professional journey I'd like to do this (blog) more and include student voice  by having them use tools like WeVideo and OnlineVoiceRecorder to have them create vlogs and podcasts.
I'm planning on doing another post this week to highlight the amazing learning that took place on the unit we just finished on the Constitution and Bill of Rights where we answered the question- "Are Freedoms Free?"

Comments and feedback greatly appreciated!
Jared

No comments:

Post a Comment