Friday, March 22, 2019

End of trimester. Exhale

It's always a busy time of year when the trimester ends because it's also deep in the throws of student-parent-teacher conferences. Since I've really invested in student lead conferences I've grown to love them. Celebrating the growth of the year, or 2 years for my 6th graders is always amazing. To pause and reflect is such a powerful thing. Students don't do it enough and me and this blog are my intentional attempt to do that professionally.

Students wrapped up the first part of our economics unit by completing their individual country research and partnering up and comparing and contrasting their countries and the economic markets. I had them fill out this graphic organizer to show their learning. We then watched a PBS show about American manufacturing to get them thinking about the next part of our unit.

One of my classes was super fortunate to have a parent come in as a guest presenter. She lived in the Soviet Union as a business liaison at the tail of end of the Soviet Union's run as a Communist state. She shared stories of rationing, government planning, and the difference between Communism as a philosophy and Communism in practice. I learned a lot and I know the students really enjoyed it. She brought in great artifacts to show as well.

It was a great week and though it was a 4 day week (today is reserved for parent conferences) I was just as tired last night as if it were a 5 day week. I'll take the long weekend (I've done my conferences outside of today- trying to fit 11 hours of conferences into a 7 hour day never seems to work for me) to breathe, recharge and get ready to welcoming my awesome students on Monday. They'll start their research on an item "Made in the USA" and track the individual components around the globe to see where it all comes from!

No comments:

Post a Comment