Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Week of Inspirational Math

I'm using the week of inspirational math in all my math classes to help students get into the norms and routines of my classroom space. The week long course was developed by Jo Boaler, the world renowned expert in mathematical thinking specifically in regards to growth mindset. The idea that the brain is a flexible muscle that can grow with practice, grit and challenge.

I really appreciate the message that this sends to kids. Her launch videos explain the research and the science behind growth mindset in a way that makes sense to my students. From there we dig into different activities. Today's activity focused on building bridges from the spacial part of our brain to the logic/procedure based side. I'm including a short video that shows a few ways different groups were making connections.

No comments:

Post a Comment